At the Institute for Hormonal Balance we have many contraceptive options available to women. Whatever form of birth control or cycle management a woman decides to use, our providers will discuss the benefits and risks of each birth control method.
Types of Birth Control:
Combined Hormonal Birth Control: Birth control pills, the birth control patch, and the vaginal birth control ring are combined hormonal birth control methods. They contain two hormones: estrogen and progestin.
Progestin only/Long Term Birth Control: Mirena, Skyla IUD
Benefits of Contraception other than Protecting against Pregnancy:
- They may make your period more regular, lighter, and shorter.
- They help reduce menstrual cramps.
- They decrease the risk of cancer of the uterus, ovary, and colon.
- They may improve acne and reduce unwanted hair growth.
- They can be used to treat certain disorders that cause heavy bleeding and menstrual pain, such as fibroids and endometriosis.
- Used continuously, they can reduce the frequency of migraines associated with menstruation (although they should not be used if you have migraines with aura).
- They also can be used to treat heavy bleeding and pain by stopping the menstrual period.